About Me

My photo
Santa Clarita, Ca, United States
I work as a Technology Manager in the Entertainment Industry. My first film was Disney's Dinosaur and have been credited on several films since. I love working on old electronics, especially old radios. I am also passionate about technology and education. I have 4 kids and you can read about us on our family blog.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Atlas Model 210x

This weekend's Radio Projects were an Atlas 210x HF transceiver and an Atwater Kent model 70 console radio.

The Atlas Model 210x was first introduced in 1973.  It was quite revolutionary at its time as being all solid state. (No Vacuum Tubes).  This particular specimen was found in my dad's backyard. He had purchased it at a yard sale and covered it in a plastic bag. I rescued it while visiting my dad.  When I opened up the chassis, I found that one of the capacitors on the audio board was blown.  It also burnt the side of the adjacent capacitor and spewed a mess on the circuit board.



I decided to replace both capacitors. (22mfd@16v and 100mfd@16v.) and also clean up the circuit board. Here is the audio board with the new capacitors installed. You can see them in the upper left hand corner of the circuit board.



I re-installed the audio board and powered up the radio.  It performed reasonably well and I was able to hear stations between Wisconsin and California on 80M, 40M, and 20M using a long wire antenna installed in my backyard.  I powered it with a 15A 12V power supply which also came from my dad's collection.






I have not yet tried to transmit with the radio. When I do, I'll update this posting.

1 comment:

If you would like to reach out to the author directly, please email mschnitt@gmail.com