About Me

My photo
Santa Clarita, Ca, United States
I work as a Technology Manager in the Entertainment Industry. My first film was Disney's Dinosaur and have been credited on several films since. I love working on old electronics, especially old radios. I am also passionate about technology and education. I have 4 kids and you can read about us on our family blog.

Saturday, July 27, 2024

1970's Lawn Chair Restoration

 These chairs were from my childhood. I love these chairs.  They are ever so light, you can lift them with one finger!  They are also wonderfully durable and have lasted for decades.  Fortunately, chair webbing is still pretty readily available so fixing and repairing is possible. . 

https://www.lawnchairusa.com/collections/webbing

I first had to strip off the old webbing and then polish the aluminum.  Polishing is a time consuming step, but really adds to the beauty of the final product.  

These are nice because they are all metal, no plastic arm rests. 



We then got to the business of webbing.  Measure the distance you need to cover from hole to hole.  You then add a few inches on each end for the fold.  

If using Screws and 2 1/4 inch Webbing, add 3.5 inches.
If using Screws and 3 inch Webbing,  add 4.5 inches
If using Clips, add 4 inches

You can see more details in this video:


Fold the tape at the end. 




Install all the straps in one direction first.  I pull hard on the strap with pliers to hold the tension while I attach the screw. 




Then weave them through. 


And Magic! 


















No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to reach out to the author directly, please email mschnitt@gmail.com